( Image: Facebook)

In a heartbreaking incident, an 11-month-old baby boy named Binyomin Zachariah lost his life in a tragic accident involving a faulty radiator in his New York home. The devastating event unfolded while Binyomin was at home with his 27-year-old mother, Bessie, and one-month-old twins.

According to law enforcement sources, Binyomin was found in his crib with critical burns caused by a malfunctioning radiator that released steam while he slept. His mother, occupied with feeding one of the twins in another room, called emergency services upon hearing a loud noise from the adjacent room. Despite being rushed to Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York City, Binyomin was pronounced dead.

The New York City Police Department (NYPD) revealed that the radiator malfunction led to a dangerous release of steam, and an investigation by the Buildings Department indicated a nipple connection issue as the cause. A “cease use” order was issued for the building’s boiler, with instructions to repair the leaking radiators. The landlord, Ruvin Itskovich, reportedly faces six violations, including failure to maintain the radiators, potentially incurring penalties of up to $62,500 (£49,000). The case is scheduled for a hearing on March 27, told Mirror.

Neighbors shared their shock and sorrow, with one recalling the baby’s mother opening the door for first responders. Another neighbor expressed disbelief, mentioning that the responsible person for building maintenance was considered “very good” at addressing issues. Binyomin’s aunt, Natalie Akselrod, lamented the family’s shattered state, expressing concerns about the building’s aged infrastructure and citing a history of radiator malfunctions.

Natalie emphasized the distressing nature of the incident, labeling it a “murder of a baby.” She criticized the landlord’s absence at the site and the lack of condolences, highlighting the unacceptable conditions in the building. Binyomin’s father, Alexander Kuravsky, stressed the need for accountability in building inspections, emphasizing that millions of people live with steam radiators, many with children.

Describing his son as a “happy-go-lucky, energetic” boy with a unique sense of humor, Alexander grappled with the tragic loss. He questioned the circumstances surrounding his son’s death, indicating a belief in the child’s uniqueness and the world mourning for him. Amidst the grieving family’s reluctance to return to the apartment, the tragedy underscores broader concerns about building safety and the need for accountability in ensuring the well-being of residents.

Related Post