Credit: Isabel Pavia / Getty Images

Melanie Galeaz, from Massachusetts, recently shared a startling revelation on TikTok, confessing to leaving a tampon inside her body for an astonishing two years during her teenage years. While the NHS advises against leaving tampons in for more than eight hours due to the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS), Galeaz shared the details of her unusual experience.

In her TikTok video, set to the backdrop of a Lana Del Rey song, Galeaz admitted to the mistake, describing it as “not my proudest moment.” Responding to queries about how she avoided TSS, Galeaz explained that she had previously battled Lyme disease as a child, which made her more susceptible to symptoms that could have masked the tampon-related issues. According to the Daily Mail

Having experienced Lyme disease symptoms earlier in her life, Galeaz initially attributed her subsequent body pains and discomfort “down south” to the residual effects of the tick-borne illness. Reluctant to discuss her embarrassment with a doctor, she opted for the medication previously prescribed for Lyme disease, which temporarily alleviated her symptoms.

However, over the next two years, the issues persisted, leading Galeaz to seek help from a gynecologist. To her astonishment, the doctor discovered a tampon lodged horizontally under her cervix. While it was hard for the gynecologist to believe the tampon had been there for two years, the doctors suggested that it might have caused an infection, contributing to Galeaz’s ongoing discomfort.

Despite the shocking nature of the revelation, Galeaz assured her audience that she and the tampon have since been separated. TikTok users expressed disbelief and curiosity about the story, with one person questioning how she didn’t feel it and another sharing their tampon mishap.

Tampon manufacturers and the NHS advise against leaving tampons in for more than eight hours, as TSS has been linked to rare cases of women using tampons.

Related Post